Contact me

2010 SKETCHBOOK (60 pages, black/white/tone, print run 100 copies)

Editions

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Doctor Strange: The Oath

I just finished reading "Doctor Strange: The Oath" by Brian Vaughan and Marcos Martin. This is the collection of their 5 issue mini series from 2007 and I can't believe I did not give it a try earlier. The story has a number of subplots, one of them being: "What if Doctor Strange could cure cancer through magic?". I found that particular thought fascinating, and I really enjoyed how the story did not take any easy "outs". It asked tough questions and gave answers that were believable and sounded true to the characters.

Wonderful interactions between everyone involved in the story were highlighted by very expressionistic art of Marcos Martin. He sort of has a cool style that is a cross between Steve Ditko and Paul Pope...and it really works great here!

To sum it up, this was the best Doctor Strange story I ever read.

In the mean time still working on "Dark Crystal". Got the script and the layouts done up to page 48...17 more pages and it's off to the printers.

3 comments:

Faff said...

It was a fabulous story, I picked it up in trade a couple of years back. What it demonstrated for me is that some characters are best used when there's actually a story worth telling rather than insisting everything has to be an ongoing book. It is the only new mainstream collection I've bought in the last 10 years.

Alex Sheikman said...

Peter,

I would love to see a sequel...

I have also just finished reading "Long John Silver: Neptune". Excellent storytelling.

DeBruno said...

We could definitely use more Doctor Strange tales of this calibre.