Contact me

2010 SKETCHBOOK (60 pages, black/white/tone, print run 100 copies)

Editions

Friday, December 09, 2005

Vertical Text

After the release of the first issue I have recieved a letter from someone who purchased Robotika and after reading it decided to write in and share his impression of the issue. It was a very articulate letter that contained some very kind words about the art work, storytelling, and story ideas...but one thing stood out as a "sore thumb": Cherokee Geisha's vertical text. In his opinion, the text slowed down the reading experience and made him leave the story.

I was thrilled to get the letter. It was awesome to hear from someone who read the book and felt inspired to write about it. That was very much appreciated. The vertical text is an interesting point and I wanted to say a few words about it.

English is my second language and I still remember the experience of trying to communicate with someone and how frustrating it was when I could not. I also remember how rewarding it was when finally I started "getting it", a whole new world opened up for me. Since than I have developed a huge appreciation of English (and it's American "cousin") as a beautiful language.

With Cherokee Geisha I wanted to create a character that other characters either could or could not understand (but somehow the reader would always be
able to understand). I wanted the reader to realize that they are taking a very wonderful thing, English language and ability to communicate, for granted. "Yes", I did want the reader to work hard. "Yes", I did want the reader to have to "re-learn" how to read...because I wanted them to feel achievement at the end of that experience and an appreciation for something that they usually take for granted.

This was my first opportunity to verbalize my thoughts about the matter (other than talking to friends or to Mark about it), and I hope readers will understand what I am trying to do.

No comments: