Contact me

2010 SKETCHBOOK (60 pages, black/white/tone, print run 100 copies)

Editions

Monday, October 19, 2009

APE!

This weekend I attended APE and I got really inspired by all the creative energy that I found at the show. Unlike San Diego this was all about comics...INDEPENDENT comics. It was a nice change :)

I want to thank everyone who has stopped by to pick up a copy of "Robotika" and if you are visiting the blog for the first time after the show: Welcome!

I shared retail space with Matt Maxwell, the creator/writer and publisher of "Strangeways", a well crafted western horror story with "cowboys and werewolves, as you like it":


I also got to spend a little bit of time with Timothy Green II, who just recently completed work on the best issue of "Immortal Weapon" I have read so far. We got to walk the convention floor and at Stuart Ng's table found a brand new (2009!) Moebius book which was a conclusion to his "Airtight Garage":


Our neighbors at the show were High Tower Comics promoting their titles "Smart Bullets" and "Ghostface". A very nice bunch of guys and gals passionate about the quality of their work:


And a very pleasant surprise of the show was running into Tim Goodyear a truly original comic book creator who has a wonderful ability to bring a fresh new perspective to graphics. I met Tim through Ryan Sook, but after Tim moved I lost touch with him and it was nice to get back in touch. He has always been very supportive of my work and has encouraged me a great deal when I started drawing "Robotika":

6 comments:

norm said...

I wish I could have gone, but Gail had a weird freak thing happen and broke her foot on Thursday....so we didn't get out much this weekend.
Did the new Robotika come out?

inkdestroyedmybrush said...

Wished that I could have gone as well. Good to hear that you had a great show!

Alex Sheikman said...

Norm,
Sorry you did not make. I saw Jason and Jeff at the show and they were having a good time walking around checking out all the art work.

Charles,
I think APE would have been a perfect place to raise awareness about your work on "The Human Hourglass". You should really consider attending next year.

Shane White said...

Dude...you could have at least stopped by the table? :\

I was at the NBM table next to Fantagraphics and one over from Jeff Smith.

boo.


=s=

Alex Sheikman said...

Shane!

Oh, man I had no idea you were at the show. I am now totally bummed :(

I was just looking at Overman a few weeks ago...I could of had all of them signed!

inkdestroyedmybrush said...

alex -
you're right, i would love to be there. next year is the goal. not sure if i have your email, drop me a line at charles.yoakum with gmail.com so we can talk sometime.